Getting grounded


6/17/2019
We are staying at a hotel in Addis for this week. The information overflow is crazy, but it is all the more exciting. From learning Amharic, to gaining a better understanding of the education system in Ethiopia – I am falling more and more in love with my decision to join the Peace Corps. While this is most likely going to be the most difficult thing I have ever done, I am none the less excited to be here. Today, June 16, was the first full day of training; our first session started at 0800 and was covering safety and security. Of course, there is risk in embarking on a journey like this, but taking the right steps will allow for most of the threats to be mitigated. Mom, Gram, most of the crime that PCV’s encounter is petty theft. Things like getting your wallet stolen, or something like that are the main risks and just take some common sense to prevent.
The next session was the medical stuff and while it was just an intro session, all I can say is that I’m glad I am not squeamish. That being said, the Peace Corps staff are so supportive and very open about what to expect and preparing us for what is to come. The main PCMO (peace corps medical officer) is a hilarious guy, and had answers for every question. Our next session was all about teaching; we learned about what the education is like in Ethiopia, how it is structured, and the history behind it. We have a lot of work to get done in the coming weeks and very intense training schedules coming up. However, I am motivated and moral has yet to drop…although I am running low on American snacks; I am figuring that such snacks will give me a good taste of home when the going gets rough.
We have been eating dinner at the hotel every night thus far, but tomorrow (6/18) will be the first night that we are on our own. Hopefully we don’t get ripped off, but I believe I will be meeting up with some Colby-Sawyer friends somewhere in Addis for dinner! It’s cool to have connections over here and really makes me feel like I’m not alone. My fellow PCV’s of group 21 are also all so amazing; I can only imagine what these friendships will blossom into – I have only known these people for three days but I feel like I have known them for decades. We have such strength in diversity and I cannot way to grow with all of them!
I am relishing in this access to wifi and can only assume that it will disappear as I get to my post. Until next time, my friends!
             
              Peace&Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through.

There is a road, no simple highway

Min Albat...