1 day...let the long strange trip begin!

It has been months since I have applied and was accepted to the Peace Corps. I have been talking about it, thinking about it, and worrying about it for so long. I have been saying for months that it is time to go! That I've just got to go do it. However, here I am one day out with so many more questions, anxieties, and fears; while simultaneously having feelings of excitement, joy, and wanderlust. It is just such a weird juxtaposition of emotions, and I feel so odd.

Regardless of what emotions of fear and uncertainty remain in my thoughts, I can't deny how absolutely excited I am to get to Ethiopia and learn about how an entirely different culture exists and how they live a totally different life than I did in America. Lives so different, though we all exist on the same planet. I am reminded of a Tame Impala Lyric from the song "Apocalypse Dreams" the first line says "This could be the day that we push through, it could be the day that all our dreams come true..." then a couple lines later Kevin Parker sings "Are you too terrified to do your best?" I'm listening to Tame Impala's performance at panorama 2018 and Kevin sang those lyrics and it felt like he was speaking directly to me. I am so terrified of so many things regarding this transition, but I can't let myself be so terrified that I don't do the best job I can for the kids I teach and the community I serve.

Going back to that thought about existing on the same physical world, but living completely different lives; Cultural exchange is so important. I cannot wait to show them my culture and how I live while also having them teach me what they do on a daily basis. Too often I think "less developed" countries get painted as hopeless and war torn. There must be more to the story than that, yes of course they have faced a lot of struggle and have a lot of systemic issues to deal with on a daily basis...but like, so does america.

I am too excited to get out and see the world. my flight to staging in D.C. leaves tomorrow at 0900 and I couldn't be more scared and inspired to begin this chapter of my life.

As the grateful dead sing "Keep on truckin'!"

Peace & Love

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through.

There is a road, no simple highway

Min Albat...